BASIC BIBLE TRUTHS
taught by Thomas Fortner
LESSON 2 - How A Wrong Relationship With God Makes Us Helpless
LESSON 2 – OUTLINE
I. How God compares and contrasts the two basic groups:
A. Compare and contrast being “lost,” Luke 19:10, with being “saved,” Eph. 2:8-9.
B. Compare and contrast being “condemned,” John 3:18,‘ with being “justifed," Rom. 5:1.
1. “Condemned” and “justified” -- legal terms.
2. “Condemned” illustration: speeding through a school zone.
3. “Justified” illustration: someone pays my fine.
C. Compare and contrast being “unforgiven,” Acts 13:38-39, with being “forgiven,” Eph. 1:7.
1. Emphasize the difference in the group in which one is located is not determined by guilt or innocence, but by forgiveness or unforgiveness.
2. ILLUSTRATION: Bumper sticker - “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven.”
D. Compare and contrast “unrighteous,” Rom. 1:18, with “righteous,” Rom. 3:22.
1. Key here: “Righteousness” in God’s opinion is not established by good deeds one does, but by the right act of God (Christ’s death on the cross) credited to his spiritual account.
2. ILLUSTRATION: Free offer of T-bone steaks by the local grocery store.
3. Explain God’s righteous act, which is available to sinners, was His death in their place on the cross. Scriptures to use in this order to establish the point: Rom. 3:22, Rom. 1:16-17, I Cor. 15:1-4, I Peter 2:24, Rom. 6:23, Rom. 5:6-8, and Rom. 4:1-6.
4. ILLUSTRATION: a large sum of money given to you.
E. Compare and contrast “dead in trespasses and sins,” Eph.2:1,with “eternal life,” John 5:24:
1. Explain death to be a state of separation, and the lost are separated from God.
2. Read John 5:24 pointing to the proper points on the chart.
F. Compare and contrast “eternity in the lake of fire,” Rev. 20:14-15, with “heaven,” John 14:1-3:
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Your discussion of heaven.
II. All in Group One are headed to the lake of fire:
A. Eternity in the lake of fire is an awful prospect. Rev. 20:14-15, Psalm 9:17, II Thess. 1:7-9, John 3:36.
B. God knows who is headed there in spite of external appearances.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: No escaping the lake of ?re for those in Group One.
III. One in Group One cannot possibly change his relationship:
A. Most lost people, upon realization of their condition and destiny, attempt to improve their conduct:
1. The five major ways: love, baptism, church, worship, and service.
2. ILLUSTRATION: hiring a Christian for $1,000 a day.
3. ILLUSTRATION: pecan tree built from scratch. No life.
B. The confirmation of God’s Word:
1. Look at thse scriptures: Eph. 2:8-9, Titus 3:5, Isa. 64:6, Rom. 4:5.
2. “X” out the “Good Works for Salvation” concept.
CONCLUDING THOUGHT: You will explain in next week's lesson how one who can not help himself can be helped. That lesson is titled, “What God Has Done for the Lost World. ” ‘