BASIC BIBLE TRUTHS
taught by Thomas Fortner
LESSON 4- How We Can Appropiate What God Has Done
LESSON 4 – OUTLINE
I. God asks only that lost poople believe on Him:
A. God says “believe;” others have other ideas:
B. See it right in the Bible: Acts 16:30-31, John 5:24; John 3:15-18.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: God’s writing is different from what the world thinks.
II. At the point of belief, the new birth occurs:
A. The scriptural proof: John 3:1-14.
1. Jesus equated being born again (John 3:3, 5, 7) with believing on Jesus Christ, John 3:14-16.
2. The proof of I John 5:1.
B. God's use of family imagery:
1. Parables or parallelism: as common teaching device.
2. The extensive family parallel of the Bible: Matthew 6:9, I John 3:2, I Thessalonians 4:13.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Bloodline, family relationship.
III. A specific way to determine whether or not a person is saved:
A. John 3:36 to be used to illustrate the point.
B. How to teach and illustrate John 3:36:
1. I John 5:13 proves we can “know” we are saved.
ILLUSTRATION: Determining the length of a writing pen.
2. The positive side of John 3:36 is an “if” “then” proposition by God.
3. GOD'S PART: “hath everlasting life”:
“Hath” means now.
“Everlasting” does not mean “temporary.” Romans 8:31-39; John 6:35, 37, 39-40.
ILLUSTRATION: A lady’s permanent.
4. If God is telling the truth, all believers can know theyare saved.
5. YOUR PART: “He that believeth on the Son”: “He” is a universal pronoun and includes everybody. John 3:16 and Isaiah 1:18.
“On the Son” relates to the object of belief. Misplaced confidence avails zero, John 14:6, Acts 4:12.
ILLUSTRATION: The power that causes an electric light to shine.
“That believeth” includes the fact but also faith, Ephesians 1:13.
ILLUSTRATION: The difference between believing‘ airplanes exist and ?ying in one.
C. A simple test with three questions:
1. Am I saved?
2. How was I saved?
3. When was I saved?
ILLUSTRATION: A young lady in a certain church in 1968.
D. The personal standing of your student(s):
1. Ask him where he is.
2. If he is saved?
3. If he is lost?
4. If he is uncertain?
5. How to help uncertain students.
6. How to remove doubt.
CONCLUDING THOUGHT: Next week’s' lesson is titled “Rudiments to Fellowship and Fruitfulness With God.”