BASIC BIBLE TRUTHS
taught by Thomas Fortner
LESSON 5 - Fellowship and Fruitfulness With God
LESSON 5 – OUTLINE
I. “Fellowship” with God involves a different area than “Relationship” to God:
A. Explain “Fellowship ” I John 1.
ILLUSTRATION: an elaboration of the family parallel.
B. God wants good fellowship with His children, I John 1:3, John 10:10, Colossians 2:6.
C. Evil conduct adversely affects fellowship with God:
1. Sin breaks fellowship, Isaiah 59:1-2.
2. Sin is a reality for all of God’s children, I John 1:8-10.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Sin, a reality with which we must contend.
II. God takes action to restore broken fellowship:
A. He does it with discipline:
1. Hebrews 12:5-11, "rebuke," "chasten," "scourge."
2. All children get discipline which is always corrective to those who yield to it.
B. What to do when fellowship is broken:
1. Confess to God, I John 1:9.
2. God forgives and gives help to overcome the weakness, Hebrews 4:14-16.
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Confession brings restoration of fellowship.
III. God wants only one motive to move His children, LOVE:
A. Do because you “want to,” not because you “have to.”
B. Scriptures which teach love as the believer’s only motive:
1. I Peter 4:8, "charity" to be “above” all else.
2. II Corinthians 5:14, our "constraining" force.
3. I Corinthians 13:1-3, all efforts worthless unless motivated by love.
4. I Corinthians 10:31, everything for the glory of God.
5. A very practical truth.
CONCLUDING THOUGHT: Nothing taught so far has required any action by your student(s). Next week’s lesson is titled “Worshipping and Serving God as a Part of One of His Churches,” and it will explain much action God desires of His children. It will begin with a thorough explanation of baptism.